DIY face mask: How to make your own medical mask for coronavirus
- Medical face masks are sold out everywhere in light of the COVID-19 coronavirus pandemic, and you shouldn't buy any masks even if you do find them in stock somewhere.
- The public's frantic buying of N95 face masks could lead to a shortage, which could have a dramatic impact on health care in the event that medical professionals can't secure enough masks.
- Instead of ignoring officials' requests and buying masks from medical suppliers, there is now a relatively simple way to make your own medical-grade face mask that is believed to be effective in preventing the transmission of the novel coronavirus.
- Visit BGR's homepage for more stories.
With the COVID-19 coronavirus pandemic only just beginning to spread here in the United States, people are terrified — and rightfully so. The US was far too late with its response, so efforts to get people to help stop the spread of the novel coronavirus are going to have a limited impact. Even now, with many businesses across the country closed, people continue to question the severity of the virus. All it takes is one weak link to speed up the coronavirus outbreak, and we have millions of weak links right now.
It's no surprise that many people are overreacting and stockpiling all sorts of products, from Purell and Clorox wipes to hand soap and even toilet paper. None of those items were at risk of being in short supply until Americans flooded stores across the country to buy them, but now there's no telling when sanitizers will be widely available again.
Face masks are another product that people bought up as fast as they could, and that's actually dangerous because health care professionals in some regions are now at risk of running out. They're bound to become more widely available soon, but when they are you shouldn't buy any. Instead, there's a relatively simple way to make medical-grade face masks yourself using only a few simple items.
This simple DIY face mask procedure was shared recently by YouTuber Raphaela Laurean, and most of the things you need are likely lying around your home. In fact, you'll probably only need to order two things, a MERV 13 Pleated Air Filter and a Carbon Pad Charcoal Sheet for Air Filters. Those two purchases will give you enough material to make plenty of masks.
Here's the full list of supplies and materials you'll need:
It's actually a very smart DIY and while it's likely not quite as effective as a true N95 face mask, it should be more than enough to protect you from becoming infected with COVID-19 or from infecting others as long as you continue to practice social distancing. Here's the full video with the tutorial that shows you how to make the masks:
More of today's top deals
Smart Plugs that Work with Alexa Echo Google Home for Voice Control, Aoycocr Smart Home Mini Wi…: $19.49 ($4.87 each) (use code QPJ3C2EU by 3/19)
Car Cup Holder Phone Mount, [Upgraded] Kinhan Cupount_XL Universal Cell Phone Holder for iPhone…: $7.99 (use code KINHANVIP6)
Anker Wireless Charger, PowerWave Pad Upgraded 10W Max, Fast Charging for iPhone 11, 11 Pro, 11…: $7.99 (use code AKA253SD by 3/30)
Anker PowerCore Slim 10000 PD, 10000mAh Portable Charger USB-C Power Delivery (18W) Power Bank…: $22.99 (use code ANKERCMF7)
Roav DashCam S1, by Anker, Dash Cam, Dashboard Camera, Full HD 1080p Resolution, 60 fps, Nighth…: $67.99 (use code SDS416799)
eufy AK-T84201W1 Security Floodlight Camera, 1080p,2-Way Audio No Monthly Fees, 2500-Lumen Brig…: $159.99 (use code FLOODLC4)
Anker Roav DashCam Duo, Dual FHD 1080p Dash Cam, Front and Interior Wide Angle Cameras, For Ube…: $89.99 (use code DUALDC399)
Anker USB C to Lightning Cable, iPhone 11 Charger [6ft Apple MFi Certified] Powerline II for iP…: $11.99 (use code AKPL2CL6)
iPhone 11 Charger, Anker USB C to Lightning Cable [6ft Apple MFi Certified] Powerline II for iP…: $11.99 (use code AKPL2CL6)
iPhone 11 Charger, Anker USB C to Lightning Cable [6ft, 2-Pack] Powerline II for iPhone 11/11 P…: $19.99 (use code AKPL2PK2)
Today's Top Deals
- Today’s best deals: Surprise Fire TV Stick sale, huge Anker blowout, smartphone sanitizers, $17 screwdriver kit, more
- Stuck inside quarantining? HP has a massive sale to make working from home easier
- Sony’s $230 AirPods Pro-killers are down to $140, but only if you hurry
Trending Right Now:
- Bill Gates urges everyone to stay calm, because this crisis might not last as long as you think
- The Trump administration wants to send every American up to $2,000
- France cautiously exploring coronavirus treatment based on anti-malaria drug
DIY face mask: How to make your own medical mask for coronavirus originally appeared on BGR.com on Thu, 19 Mar 2020 at 08:07:48 EDT. Please see our terms for use of feeds.