Strawberry Honey Ginger Galette
So yes, this galette has ginger in it. And yes, that means it’s healthy.
Sometimes I just need a WAHBAM, hit-me-in-the-face kind of dessert and I think this is it. We all know and love the humble strawberry, but sometimes she gets lonely all by herself. I introduced her to a new friend in this recipe and they form a perfect match. Strawberry + ginger = BFFs.
I’ll be straight up with you – if you don’t like ginger, this recipe probably isn’t for you. But if you do, then why not switch up your summer dessert game? It adds a little kick that only ginger can give and I’m here for it.
For the dough:
You can definitely use store-bought pie dough for this, but why would you when making it yourself is uber easy?! All you need to do is throw all ingredients into a food processor and it comes together in a jiffy. You then roll it out, fill it up, fold it over, bake it and it becomes a gorgeously rustic little galette that will please all of your ginger-loving friends.
To ensure your pie dough is extra flaky when baked, you need to make sure your butter is super cold. I like to cube up the required amount and put the cubes in the freezer while I measure out the rest of the ingredients. This allows the butter to melt slower and create pockets of air that form those gorgeous layers in your crust.
For the filling:
If your strawberries are smaller, halve them. It they are larger, I like to cut them into thirds to have nice, big pieces in the galette. They will shrink down as they cook, so keep this in mind!
If you don’t like ginger, you can most definitely leave it out and just enjoy a classic strawberry galette.
Strawberry Honey Ginger Galette
Serving size: 7-8
Prep time: 30 minutes (much of this is inactive time)
Cook time: 30 minutes
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ginger powder
- 1/2 cup + 1 tbsp butter, cubed and very cold*
- 1.5 pounds fresh strawberries, halved
- zest of one lemon
- 1 1/2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 – 1 tbsp fresh ginger, minced**
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 tbsp sugar (optional)
- For the dough, add flour, salt and ginger powder to a food processor and pulse to combine. Add the cold butter and continue to pulse until dough begins to resemble peas. Drizzle in one tablespoon of ice cold water and continue to pulse until the dough comes together. This may require an extra tablespoon or so of water, but make sure to add it slowly. Form dough into a disc, cover in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- While the dough is resting, create the filling. Combine the strawberries, zest, lemon juice, ginger, honey and cornstarch in a bowl with a pinch of salt. Set aside.
- Place the dough disc onto a lightly floured surface and roll it out to 1/8-inch thick. Transfer to a parchment lined baking sheet. Scoop the filling into the middle of the pie dough with a slotted spoon, trying to avoid adding the excess liquid. Spread filling out, leaving a 1.5 inch border all the way around. Work your way around the perimeter, folding the edges of the dough overtop of the filling. Place the entire baking sheet in the fridge to firm up the butter again, while the oven preheats.
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- When oven is ready, remove the galette from the fridge and brush the pastry edges with the beaten egg. Sprinkle the sugar over the egg wash and bake for 30-35 minutes, or until crust is golden brown. Remove from oven and let cool for 10 minutes before serving!
*I like to cube my butter ahead of time and place it in the freezer while I prep the other ingredients.
**Depending on how much of a kick you want from the ginger, I would measure it according to the people you are serving. If you just want a hint of ginger, put in 1/2 tbsp. If you want to really taste it, add up to 1 tbsp.